As people grow older, they may suffer through many losses—a spouse, family members, friends, health, mobility, status, sometimes respect from others, and ultimately respect for themselves. This sense of loss can be overwhelming as the struggle for control in their lives may seem to be a losing battle.
Growing old does not mean emotional despair has to be an acceptable condition of life. The good news is this downward spiral is not a necessary part of life but a treatable condition that can be reversed. The quality of life can be renewed as the feelings of despair and hopelessness are changed to hope, joy, and inner peace. Anxiety, depression, lack of motivation, and sadness due to grief and loss issues can be minimized or resolved by effective treatment.
Memorial Senior Care offers outpatient group and individual counseling for senior adults. Seniors often face unique problems, which can trigger depression or anxiety. At Memorial Senior Care, we take a team approach, utilizing a psychiatrist, nurse, and licensed therapist to develop individualized treatment plans based on client needs. Reports are provided to other involved medical professionals on a routine basis.
The Need for Senior Care
Senior adults often face unique emotional problems that can make life abnormally difficult. Some of these problems may include:
- Difficulty coping with change
- Trouble adjusting to retirement
- Deterioration of daily living skills
- Loneliness and isolation
- Crying spells and/or explosive anger
- Debilitating problems with grief and loss
- Feelings of anxiety and depression
- Adjusting to declining physical health
- Negative changes in eating and sleeping habits
- Strained family relationships
- A strong sense of hopelessness often accompanied by suicidal thinking
The Core Values of Memorial Senior Care
- Restoring the quality of life by focusing on each person as a unique individual
- Valuing the individual’s specific needs and the role of the family as a whole
- Commitment to excellence in treatment
- Ongoing plan for care and support