Memorial Foundation’s Scholar Athletes of the Year Scholarship
Nominate a student to be recognized as Scholar Athlete of the Week!
Weekly winners get a chance to win one of two college scholarships at the end of the 2017-2018 school year.
Memorial Rehab and Sports Medicine along with Memorial Medical Group Orthopedic and Sports Medicine would like to recognize one male and one female Scholar Athlete of the Week culminating with a male and female Scholar Athlete of the Year College Scholarship presentation at the end of the school year.
The program will be administered and funded by Memorial Foundation, Inc. and serve as an opportunity to support local high school athletes.
- A high school senior from a high school in Memorial’s primary service area and selected secondary service area including:
- Althoff Catholic High School
- Belleville Township High School East
- Belleville Township High School West
- Breese High School
- Cahokia High School
- Collinsville High School
- Columbia High School
- Dupo High School
- East St. Louis High School
- Freeburg High School
- Gibault Catholic High School
- Lebanon High School
- Marissa High School/Coulterville HS
- Mascoutah High School
- Mater Dei High School
- Nashville High School
- New Athens High School
- O’Fallon High School
- Okawville High School
- Triad High School
- Waterloo High School
- Outstanding scholar athlete with a minimum 3.5 out of 4.0 GPA
- History of academic and athletic accomplishments
- Community and/or civic involvement
Weekly awards will be given from September 2017 through April 2018. Each Scholar Athlete of the Week will be eligible for one of two $1,500 scholarships to be awarded at the respective school’s sports banquet.
There are several ways to nominate a scholar athlete:
- Mail: Complete and mail in the nomination form along with a photo of the athlete to: Memorial Foundation, 4500 Memorial Drive, Belleville, Illinois 62226.
- Email: Complete, scan, and email the nomination form with a photo of the athlete to MemAthlete@bjc.org.
- Online: Complete and submit the online form and remember to submit a digital photo.
Memorial Foundation’s Scholar Athlete Program will be promoted as follows:
- Letters to schools informing them of this program
- Visits to school guidance counselors
- Web site
- Social media including Facebook and Twitter
- News releases
Weekly scholar athletes will be selected by a committee comprised of:
- Memorial Foundation Board Member
- Memorial Medical Group Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Physician
- Memorial Rehab and Sports Medicine Athletic Trainer
The selection committee will review the weekly scholar athlete applications for the following criteria:
- Other academic achievements
- Athletic accomplishments
- Number of sports played
- Number of years playing each sport
- School involvement
- Community involvement
Winner Notification and Publicity
Weekly scholar athletes will be notified by phone of their selection. They will receive a congratulatory letter and certificate from Memorial Foundation.
Winners will be publicized through:
- Memorial’s web site and through Facebook (with parental permission)
- News release distributed to area print media
- Publicity by high school